Love chess, but hate having to stop in the middle of a game when you don't have time to finish? This DIY vertical chess set made by Redditor pigthunder will ensure you never have to abandon a game again. It hangs on the wall, so you can pick up where you left off anytime.
Here's how to make your own.
- 16 thin pieces of wood, cut into 16" lengths (the width depends on how tall you want the finished product to be; red oak was used in the original)
- 4 pieces of crown molding, for the frame
- Black paint
- 4 long strips of painter's tape
- Wood glue
- 4 small cylindrical dowels
- 4 rubber bands
- 2 long square dowels, for the frame
Stack eight pieces of wood horizontally. Between each, stand a piece vertically for the shelves. The pieces for the shelves should have a shorter width so they don't stick out too far.
Apply several coats of stain. Make sure all the grains of the wood are filled so that the paint won't run when you add it later. You may need as many as five or six coats, depending on what type of stain you use. After you've done this, seal it with polyurethane.
Lay the painter's tape in four even columns. Apply black paint to the exposed sections. You may want to do a test section first to make sure the paint doesn't run under the tape. If it does, that means you need another coat or two of stain.
Flip every other row horizontally to make the checkerboard and use wood glue to attach a shelf between each.
Glue together the crown molding. Then, drill a hole and place a dowel coated with wood glue through each corner. Attach a rubber band to each dowel to hold it into place while it dries.
Once the glue is dry, remove the rubber bands and cut off any excess from the dowels. Sand down the dowels and use wood glue to fill in any gaps.
You can check out this video for a more detailed guide on putting together a frame.
Cut the two square dowels to the same length as the height of the frame. Drill holes in the top and bottom on each side and screw in the dowels so that they're flush with the edges of the frame. This is where your board will rest.
Fit the chessboard into the frame and wood glue it into place. Once it dries, hang it up and let the games begin!
Photo of finished board with hand via Straight Up Chess
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades